PANASONIC ANNOUNCES RUGGED TOUGHPAD TABLET SOLUTION FOR PASSPORT & ID CONTROL
The Panasonic TOUGHBOOK M1 Passport Solution for mobile identification and entrance control
BRACKNELL, UK. 29th November 2018 - Panasonic today announced an integrated mobile identification and entrance
control solution for its popular 7 inch rugged tablet. Panasonic TOUGHBOOK M1 Passport Solution is ideal for border control,
police and security forces, as well as the travel, entertainment and hospitality industries. The device integrates a complete
range of technology solutions for checking personal data and identification in a rugged but lightweight design that can be
easily used on the move.
Panasonic TOUGHBOOK M1 Passport is the perfect solution for checking passports and identity cards at border control
and for police and security forces to check driving licences and passes at checkpoints or to control access to secure
areas. With its range of integrated options, the device is also ideally suited for checking and recording information for
conference, concert and event entry, as well as in the tourist industry for passengers, for example when embarking and
disembarking cruise ships.
Flexible integrated technology
The Passport solution can be ordered with a number of integrated reader technology. Solutions include a 2D bar code
reader, a smart card reader and RFID for contactless cards, as well as a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) for 2-line and in
the future 3-line passport reading.
The device is equipped with a rotatable hand strap for easy use for right and left-handed personnel. The Passport solution
is based on the highly successful Panasonic TOUGHBOOK M1 mk3 Standard tablet, equipped with a powerful 7th
Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor delivering exceptional performance with very low power consumption, keeping heat
generation in the fanless device to a minimum.
The TOUGHBOOK M1 offers a brighter 700cd/m² display with an anti-reflective clear protection film for unrivalled
viewing of the ten finger capacitive touch screen. With built-in battery saving technology, such as its ambient light sensor,
the TOUGHBOOK M1 tablet can operate for 18 hours (MobileMark 2014) on its replaceable battery on a 4.5 hour charge
time, For those who need to work longer, a hot swappable battery set-up can be established using the configurable port
The TOUGHBOOK M1 tablet is ideally suited to outside or testing environments. It is drop tested to 150cm* and has an
IP65** ingress protection rating for resistance to dust and water and will operate effectively in temperatures ranging from -
29 to +60°C**.
Cameras to suit
For users needing live video conference or to capture photographic images of documentation in the field, the TOUGHBOOK M1 tablet is equipped with a 2MP front web camera with stereo mic and an 8MP rear camera with flash.
Jan Kaempfer, General Manager of Marketing for Panasonic Computer Product Solutions, said: “Our Passport solution
takes our most popular rugged tablet and perfectly adapts it to the needs of mobile workforces required to check
information or identities whilst on the move. It is another example of how Panasonic is focused on providing a range of
rugged notebooks, tablets and handhelds designed with the flexibility and functionality to turn them into vertical solutions
The Panasonic TOUGHBOOK M1 Passport Solution is available on project base with pricing starting at € 2,832 (GBP
2,547) plus tax. The device will be available Europe-wide and come with a standard 3-year warranty.
* Tested by Panasonic Factory
** Tested by an independent third party lab following MIL-STD-810G and IEC 60529, Sections 13.4, 13.6.2, 14.2.5 and
14.3 with FZ-M1 main unit, not with Passport Solution.
The Amber Group
+44 (0)118 949 7750
About Panasonic System Communications Company Europe (PSCEU)
Panasonic System Communications Company Europe’s (PSCEU) goal is to improve the working lives of business
professionals and help their organisations’ efficiency and performance through world leading technology. We help
organisations capture, compute and communicate all sorts of information: image, voice, and textual data. With around 350
staff, engineering design expertise, global project management capability and a large European partner network, PSCEU
offers unrivalled capability in its markets.
PSCEU is made up of six product categories:
• Broadcast & ProAV gives you the freedom to tell the story with its high quality products and solutions, which ensure smooth operation and excellent cost-performance across a range of remote cameras, switchers, studio cameras and ENG P2HD. The cinema camera range of VariCam models and the EVA1 are capable of true 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) making them the ideal solution for cinema, television, documentary and live event production.
• Communication Solutions offers world leading telephony systems, SIP terminal devices and professional ‘network’ scanners giving you the freedom to focus on the communication and not the connection.
• Computer Product Solutions help mobile workers improve productivity with its range of TOUGHBOOK rugged notebooks, Toughpad business tablets and electronic point of sales (EPOS) systems. As European market leaders, Panasonic TOUGHBOOK had a 67% revenue share of sales of rugged and durable notebooks and Panasonic Toughpad held a 56% revenue share of sales of rugged business tablets in 2016 (VDC Research, March 2017).
• Industrial Medical Vision manufactures applications for various segments such as medical, life science, ProAV or industrial. The product portfolio includes complete and OEM camera systems, providing the freedom to see what can’t be seen.
• Security Solutions, built on a heritage of providing evidential quality CCTV footage. Delivering the highest image quality in all environmental conditions using our highly reliable, advanced technology cameras and image recording systems, giving you the freedom to feel secure.
• Visual System Solutions offers the widest range of professional displays and projectors and allows Audio Visual professionals the freedom to create. It leads the European high brightness projector market with a 39% market revenue share (Futuresource >5klm FY17 Q3, excl. 4K & digital cinema).
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for
customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. Celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2018,
the company has expanded globally and now operates 591 subsidiaries and 88 associated companies worldwide, recording
consolidated net sales of Euro 61.4 billion for the year ended March 31, 2018. Committed to pursuing new value through
innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its
customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global